We live in a manipulative, lying, deceitful world.
I was reminded of that today. People are immensely selfish and out to further themselves without regard for their fellow man. Advertisement especially. They put up dazzling pictures for display and lure you in. You're hooked. Then there of course is the catch. They never advertise the catch. That's the deceitful part.
Today my mom wanted my siblings and I to go get our pictures taken professionally. Every year for who knows how long we have always gone to take school pictures. She takes it upon her self since we are homeschooled (Gag me. I hate homeschooling). So there was an advertisement for a special on all photos with all the different sizes and with a good number of them. My mom waits every year for the special. We all load up and get our pictures taken. It's a ritual. As the years have gone by and more of my siblings have graduated, the less of us go. But back to the story at hand. My little sister (who is a tomboy, to say in the least) was whining all afternoon about my fixing her hair and putting make up on her. She hates it. But I'm a good sister and I ignore that EVERY time (she does this quite frequently). So we all head off to the photography studio with our nice shirts on and our hair fixed (including my little brother). I'm driving. I love driving, it has a nice calming peaceful effect on me. Except when my mother continually freaks out, not because I'm a bad driver but because of the crazy drivers on the road. and not to mention when my siblings won't shut up and quit arguing. I can't wait to have my license. So we get there at 4:30 which is when we had our appointment. We didn't even get to go in until 5. That's like saying, thank you for your business now go wait until we can screw you over. Which is what they did. My mom goes up to the later and talks to her. Well the lady gets a befuddled look on her face and says, "Is this for a group photo?" My mom in turn says no, we're here for individual shots. She goes on to explain that that's not allowed. It's only ONE photo set we can do. So it's either we all group in together or only one of us gets our pictures taken. I proceed to ask her why. She says well it's policy. I go but where does it say that on your advertisement? She says it's not. It's just our policy. My mom and I just look at each other. My mom tells her that we have done this for years and it has never been a problem. I agree verbally. She then tells us it's a policy every employee knows. I then ask her, well then why did you not put this on the advertisement? She said well it's just we know this policy. I go well how would we know it's the policy if you didn't tell us? The lady ignores me. My mom then goes on saying she got us all dressed nice and she doesn't understand why it's a problem when every year in the past we've done this. The lady says well I'm sorry, we're basically giving away hundreds of dollars worth of pictures with this special (this is about the third time she's said that). My mom asks to talk to a manager. The lady tells us that's not possible. I go well then can we please see the policy? She says she doesn't have access to the written version. I go then how are we supposed to know the policy? Why can't we call a manager? The lady just stares at me, apparently annoyed at my for asking questions she doesn't want to answer. (I'm sorry I have a brain and I can catch when someone is bs-ing me. Actually I'm not sorry.) Then she insinuates we're calling her a liar. My mom quickly says we're not, we're just frustrated. Eventually my mom just decides to go to another walmart for the other pictures. I get my pictures taken. They turned out surprisingly well. I really liked them. I'll have those little wallet sized pictures to give to my friends to they can see my beautiful face allll the time. Just kidding... but seriously. They advertised this great deal, they have a policy they refused to verify with us stating that we can't get more than one person photographed. Hook, line, and sinker. They show this amazing deal, you go in, they then tell you the fine print (and this instance they wouldn't even let us see the fine print!), and then they take advantage of you. Thanks Picture Me Studios, you're the best.
They didn't lie, they just twisted their advertisement. They want you to do the special with one person, then spend full price on anyone else. They distorted their own advertising. They manipulated. Even if it wasn't downright evil, it still wasn't an honest transaction.
The more I see of this world, the more I am dissatisfied with it. This is perhaps why I have such a trust issue, so many people lie and manipulate. (ha I could keep going on for quite a while about my trust issues.) I'm sure the only person in the world I'll really trust is whoever I marry (... Yeah I kind of don't really trust my parents. That's whole other blog in itself right there ha) But of course before we even marry he'd have to gain that trust. Which it's a known fact (except to this blog) that I have a hard time trusting people, let alone guys.
This world. Sigh.
Saturday, February 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment